The Salkantay Via Inca Trail 4 Days Tour is for the adventurous lover who wants to take a pleasure in the scenery and experience one of the greatest trek and attractions of the Cusco region during their limited time in Peru. Taking through different paths and avoiding the more crowded trekking trails, this route offers breathtaking natural scenery, snow mountain ranges, flora fauna combined with historical and archaeological sites of the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu.
This is the only less busy version of the Salkantay via Inca Trail. The first two days we will explore one of the best highlights of Salkantay Mountain and Humantay Lagoon, but on the 3rd day we depart the Salkantay Trek to admire a less trodden trail that connects with the Classic Inca Trail. You even get the opportunity to walk a one day portion of the Classic Inca Trail on the 3rd day and finishing at Aguas Calientes town in the hotel.
- Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Ichupata
- Day 2: Ichupata – Incachiriasca – Pampacahuana
- Day 3: Pampacahuana – Paucarcancha – Huayllabamba – KM 82 – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Salkantay via Inca Trail – Trek briefing:
You will have a thorough briefing with your expert tour guide 1 or 2 days before your trek. Your guide will meet you at your hotel in Cusco and you can take this opportunity to ask questions and make any final preparations for your hike to Salkantay Mountain & inca trail.
If you looking to taste the last portion of the classic inca trail and you want to pass through the classic sun gate and you want to experience twice Machu Picchu let us know in advance, we can arrange you Salkantay Mountain + Short Inca Trail 5 Days which is the best option for you and families.
- Humantay Lake
- Salkantay Mountain
- Best food
- Inca Trail day 3
- Best views
We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:00 am in our private transportation. We begin our adventure in the direction of Mollepata which we pass on our 3 hour van trip to the trailhead at Soraypampa 3800km. When we arrive at Soraypampa, you will enjoy a hot breakfast prepared by our trail chef. After breakfast, you give your duffel bags to our horsemen and get ready to begin your trekking adventure on the Salkantay trek by hiking up to Humantay Lagoon. This hike takes about 1.5 hours and will take you to the base of Humantay Mountain where you get to take in the beautiful, crystalline blue waters of the Humantay Lagoon. After time to be mesmerized by the beauty of such an incredible creation of nature, you will begin hiking back down to the starting point to continue with your trek to where you will enjoy a hot lunch. This return hike takes about 2 hours as you descend to Salkantaypampa at 3900km arriving at about 1 p.m. Salkantaypampa is located on the base of the Salkantay glacier mountain and has some incredible views of the Salkantay Mountain. After lunch you will gradually hike uphill for around 3 hours to the campsite of Pampa Japonesa at 4,250km. There you get to sleep under the unforgettable star filled night sky at the base of the majestic Salkantay Mountain.
Walking distance: 14km
Trail head elevation: 3,800 km
Camp site elevation: 4,700mt
Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
After an early morning wake up, you will enjoy your breakfast and get ready for the day’s hike. You will not be able to help yourself from stopping to enjoy the spectacular views of the surrounding glacier peaks and mountains. From Pampa Japonesa, you will slowly ascend for the next 3 hours until reach the Inca Chiriaska, pass located at 5,100km. Chiriaska means ‘getting cold’ in Quechua. This place is truly cold at most times of the year, but it has some of the best views of the Salkantay glacier peaks. After taking time to admire the breath-taking scenery you will get to enjoy a hot drink before continuing on your trek. The hike from the pass to Sisaypata, our lunch spot, will take around 3.5 hours, but it is all downhill. At Sisaypata, you will get the opportunity to take in the beauty of the Paltayoc peaks.
After lunch, we continue trekking for another 3 hours downhill to the campsite for the night at Paucarcancha at 3,770km.
Walking distance: 18km
Highest point of the trail: 5100m km
Campsite elevation: 3300mt
Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
After breakfast, you will visit the Inca archaeological site of Paucarcancha before continuing on with your trek. This day you get to trek on a section of the Classic Inca Trail which is still the original stone laid down hundreds of years ago. As you are trekking, you will be enthralled by the stunning views of the surrounding valleys and mountains. Plus, you will also get to experience a bit of the famous Inca Trail by visiting the Llactapata Inca archaeological site. This site is known for having been an Inca village characterized by its houses, water channels, and many farming terraces gently bordering the mountain side. From Llactapata, we will trek for about 1 hour and then stop for lunch.
After lunch, you will hike for about another 2 hours until you reach Km 82 where you will meet up with our private van and be transferred to the town of Ollantaytambo.and them by train to aguas calientes town – hotel
Walking distance: 15km
Campsite elevation: 3300km
Trail end elevation: 2700mt
Aguas Calientes elevation: 2000km
Accommodations: Tunupa Lodge or Iskay Hotel
Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
This is the day you’ve been waiting for! We will take the bus to Machu Picchu archeological site. With our 2.5-hour private tour, we make sure to explore every nook and cranny of this Wonder of the New World: majestic Machu Picchu Citadel. What an unforgettable experience! Your guide will expertly direct you through the enigmatic ruins and its most important areas. Then on your own, you can wander around the world’s spiritual center of esoteric wisdom, as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Or you can stay still and find the peace within as you sit in the pure delight of the moment.
There are a few extra options available to you:
Climb Huayna Picchu – appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu (additional fee).
Climb Machu Picchu Mt. – appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu (additional fee).
You will be given some time to walk to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku. ( No additional fee)
Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs. (entrance fee)
***Note you get 2 extra hours at the Citadel of Machu Picchu if you choose to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
You will descend to Aguas Calientes, have time for a leisurely lunch on your own and at 4:22pm board the Expedition Train to the Ollantaytambo station. There you will be transferred by private van to Cusco. You can expect to arrive at your hotel at about 7:30pm.
- Pick up at your hotel in the morning of the trek departure
- Private transport from Cusco to Soraypampa (starting point of the trek)
- Permit to Inca Trail and entrance to Machu Picchu
- English speaking, experienced, professional guide
- Private guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Comfortable tents (sleeping 2 people in a 4 person tent)
- All camping equipment such as: dining tent, table, chairs, kitchen tent and toilet tent
- Round trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Expedition Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo Station
- Private transport from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco
- Celebration dinner in Aguas Calientes (tourist restaurant )
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes with private room and bathroom
- Mules and horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen. A duffel to carry 7 kgs of your personal items such as extra clothes, sleeping bag etc.
- Provision of a horse in case of emergency such as illness, to ensure trek can be completed by all participants
- Comfortable & thick foam mattress.
- Boiled water for drinking and washing purposes
- Sleeping Bag – US$20 per person per trek (It will be clean and warm)
- Air Mattress – US$20 per person per trek (Therm-a-rest mattresses)
- Hiking Poles – US$15 per pair per trek (professional poles that can be extended)
- Personal tent: US $30 – (Tent for single travelers only)
- Vistadome Train Upgrade – US$57 per person (Return Only)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain – US$75 per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Machu Picchu Mountain – US$75 per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Lunch on the last day in Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the crew, guide, cook and porters