Get lost on spectacular Peru’s Ausangate & Rainbow Mountain 3 Days, and we’re not overstate that term lightly. The trek is laden with snow-covered peaks and glaciers that reach over 20,000 feet in height, but despite a good infrastructure, it remains remote and mostly empty path. Aside from a brief crossing of the popular Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain, Enjoy the savagery of llamas and alpacas that rule the land with the occasional farmer waving as you pass. And we cannot imagine a better way to experience hiking on Ausangate Trek to Rainbow Mountain in the Andes of Peru.
The Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain is one of the most impressive geological formations of the Andes Mountains. Recommended by National Geographic as one of the most beautiful places you should visit before you die. This place is also known as the Rainbow Mountain, Red Valley, which since ancient times is considered a sacred mountain of spiritual retreat and where you can feel the energy of the Apus (the spirit of the mountains) and renew yourself with positive energies. Vinicunca, the hill of seven colors in Cusco, today became one of the most visited places in Peru, and we as pioneers of adventure, hiking, trekking we take you to know this wonder with better services since always. The charm of the Mountain of Seven Colors of Vinicuca and the mountain of Apu Ausangate are waiting for your arrival to Peru.
Ausangate Trek 3 Days – Trip Overview
- Name of the trek: Ausangate Trek & Rainbow Mountain
- Trek Duration: 3 days / 2 nights
- Accommodation: 2 nights camping facilities
- Type of Trek: Trekking, Hiking & camping adventure
- Altitude: Max. elevation 17,056ft/ Min. elevation 14,432ft
- Group Size: (min 2 – max 8 / average 4)
- Level of Difficulty: Moderate & Challenging
- Departure Day: Any day with 2 people
- Acclimatization: At least 2 or 3 days acclimatization recommended in Cusco prior to the trip
- Enjoy the most stunning and remote treks in Peru
- Trekking & adventure journey “off the beaten path”
- Hike along the large & small multi-color lagoons
- Explore the Rainbow Mountain of Peru
- Enjoy the wonderful landscape with glaciers, alpine lakes, and rugged mountains
- Get touch with indigenous people in rustic rural villages of the highlands
- See some quite unique fauna such as Chinchillas, Condor “the largest Andean bird”, Vicunas “The only non-domesticated animal of the llama family” and many more
We begin of our Ausangate and Rainbow Mountain Vinicunca with the pick up from your hotel at 4.00 am and head towards Pacchanta in our private vun, we will take the road to Puerto Madonado. We will arrive at the small town of Tinke from where our private vun will take us to Pacchanta where a rich breakfast will be waiting for us, from here we will see the Ausangate Mountain by the main North face. We will get ready to then start our hike seeing very beautiful landskipes. From here we will have views of Ausangate Peak (6,384 m.).
We will continue the walk of Ausangate Vinicunca we will begin the ascent to the first Arapa Pass (4,800 m.), We will continue with a descent until we reach the Yanacocha Lagoon, Huchuy Pucacoha Lagoon that is 45 minutes from the Camp. From this point, we can see fabulous views of all the snowy peaks in the area. We camp and have dinner right in front of Ausangate and Hatun Pucacocha Lagoon. Here we will see the stars and hear the animals scream.
We will begin the ascent towards the Apacheta Pass (4,989 m.). For this it is recommended to have breakfast very well, we will begin the ascent at 7.30 am, the ascent will last 1 hour and 20 minutes, reaching this step we will see the most beautiful panorama of the Ausangate Snowy. We will walk about 30 minutes at the Top, we will take photos, we breathe the purest air of the Andes and we will begin to descend towards the Anantapata camp.
Arriving Amorzaremos, install our stores and see the sunset. We will see how the animals (Alpacas, llamas and sheep) arrive at their huts for the night. After a magnificent and adventurous walk we will have dinner at 6.30 pm and get ready for the rest and then in the morning leave early for Vinicunca and arrive very early before people arrive.
After our breakfast we walk past beautiful landscapes, where South American camelids (alpacas, llamas, Andean birds, etc.) inhabit 1.30 hour walk. Until the place called Vinicunca (5,034 m.), From where we will observe the impression of Mountain of Colors with the sunrise, it shows its best imposing valley and hills of magical colors that only exist in this place of Peru. Around we will observe the mountains that accompany (apu sarinini, Ausangate mountain) Ausangate the highest mountain in Cusco with a height of 6,384 m.
In the Inca mythology of this mountain and the nearby lakes among which Sebinacocha stands out from where the masculine energy that fertilizes the mother earth sacred Pachamama is born; after a long run, the waters are lost in the unknown lands of the Amazon to return with the rains, to fill the lakes and glaciers every night turned into the river of stars or Willkamayu known in the west as the Milky Way that resembles Our cosmos vision. The Community of Chillca constituted by shepherds of llamas and alpacas is known as the guardian of these Andean places
After a long photo shoot, we will return back to our camp where our delicious lunch awaits us, and then head towards the town of Cusco, we will arrive at 7.00 pm Approximately. End of our services.
- A pre-trek briefing 1 or 2 days before the start of your trek.
- One English-speaking guide.
- Private transport from your hotel to the trailhead.
- Private transport from Pacchanta the end of your trek to your hotel in Cusco.
- Horses and muleteers, horses carry your 8-kg / 16-pound personal items.
- Emergency Horse to escort us during the trek
- 2 nights camping along our trip.
- Entrance ticket to Rainbow Mountain
- 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2-afternoon snacks, and 2 dinners, all prepared by our cook.
- 4-person capacity tents. 2 people will be assigned per tent.
- Camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Foam sleeping mattress.
- Water supply (boiled) after every meal.
- First Aid Kit & oxygen bottle
- Personalized service
- All local taxes.
- Sleeping bag, (you might rent from us)
- Hiking poles (you might rent from us)
- Gratuities for the crew (muleteers, cook, guide)
- Hotel accommodations in Cusco
- Personal expenses (Internet access along the trail, laundry personal taxis)
- Travel insurance, we strongly recommend you to bring copies with you of travel and health insurance to protect