The Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is the stuff of legends. One of the world most famous hiking trails in the planet, this is the very same path trodden by the Inca Pilgrims as they made their way to the Sacred Citadel of Machu Picchu, hidden deep in the Andes. Spending the first day on a short section of the Inca Trail Hike, we will visit the incredible site of Chachabamba before climbing to the magnificent ruins of Wiñay Wayna (Forever Young) for the most spectacular views across the Sacred Valley with the majestic Andes stretching far into the distance. Our trek brings us finally to Intipunku (the Sun Gate) where we will witness together this new Seventh Wonder of the World. After a comfortable nights rest in a quality hotel in Aguas Calientes, our 2nd day is spent with our guide providing a fascinating 2-3 hour guided tour of Machu Picchu, before returning on the train service through the Sacred Valley and a transfer back to your hotel.
This One Day Hike To Machu Picchu allows you to appreciate the lost city of the incas twice in the afternoon the first day and also the following day in the morning which the best mix option for photo lovers.
Short Inca Trail: Overview
- Day 1: Cusco – Chachabamba 104 – Wiñay Wayna – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Starting Altitude – 2,170 m / 7,170 ft
Highest Altitude – 2,720 m / 8,920 ft
Walking Distance – 13 km / 8 miles
Journal : Pre-trek briefing:
We provide a full pre-trek briefing at you hotel in Cusco. This gives you the chance to ask questions about the Hiking tours itinerary.
Briefings are generally scheduled at night 2 days before your 2-days starts. If your trek begins on a Monday then the briefing will be scheduled for the Saturday before. Please take this into consideration when booking your travel plans to Cusco, ensuring you arrive in time for the briefing.
- A wonderful mountain scenery
- The mysterious cloud forest
- Flora & wildlife
- Visiting awesome ruins ( Chachabamba, Wiñaywayna, Sun Gate)
- Hiking the famous Short Inca Trail
- Machupicchu the magical inca site.
In the morning at the appropriate time, travelers will be picked up from their hotels in Cusco and transported for 1 hour and half to the train station at Ollantaytambo; the train ride is approx. 1 hour and half to arrive to km 104 the beginning of 1 day Hike to Machu Picchu. After to cross the check point we will start hiking uphill for about 3 hours through the beautiful cloud forest until we reach the beautiful site of Wiñaywayna, this is an impressive site mixed of an agricultural center with numerous terraces, a religious sector and an urban sector. We will be able to explore this charming and marvelous Inca complex, which is definitely one the highlights, afterwards we will eat our box lunch.
The second part of this Short trek to Machu Picchu is easier, we will hike towards the Gate of the Sun and Machupicchu; at our arrival we will take pictures from the upper part of the ruin; we then drive down to Aguas Calientes town; to stay at the hotel.
Meals Included: box Lunch & dinner
In the morning after your breakfast at the hotel, our guide will pick you up from your hotel, then you will be transported to Machupicchu Inca Complex. Where you will exprerience in a guided tour of the Citadel, visiting the Main Plaza, the Sun Temple, the Sacred Sun Dial (Intihuatana), the Royal palace, the Temple of the Three Windows, the Main temple, Sacred Rock, warehouses, a large central square; and all the most interesting places. It will be a unique experience at this mysterious place, considered one of the new 7 wonders of the world. After the guided tour, free time to explore the zone on your own or you can take the hiking options:
Climb to Wayna Picchu; for the most of short trek to Machu Picchu hikers, we suggest to go up the Wayna Picchu from where you will observe the immensity of Machupicchu, even more amazing being high and distant (we suggest you to book in advance).
Walk to the spectacular Inca bridge.
In the afternoon at the scheduled time we will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes, and then the Train ride back to Ollantaytambo and then you will have transfer back to Cusco.
The journey by train takes approximately 1:40 Hours and 1:30 hours by car to arrive back to the hotel in Cusco.
- Transfer to the train station of Ollantaytambo
- Train tickets round trip in expedition class
- Box lunch
- Entrance fee
- Bus ticket up and down to Machupicchu.
- Expert guide for our Machu Picchu short trek
- Hotel accommodation **
- Dinner in Aguas Calientes.
- Transfer back from Ollanta to Cusco hotel
- Entrance fee to Wayna Picchu (75.00 US additional per person)
- Meals not described in the itinerary
- Transfers in/ out to the airport of Cusco.
- Any kind of drinks.
- Tips (transfer, guide).
- Breakfast in the first day morning and Lunch after Machupicchu.
- Entrance fee to the Hot springs.
Packing List for Short Inca Trail Hke
- Short Inca Trail Packing List
- Original passport (and *International Student card (ISIC) if applicable)
- Travel Insurance is essential
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended)
- Insect repellent
- Water (only until lunch time on day 1)
- Toiletries and hand sanitizer.
- Personal medication
- Torch with spare batteries (headlamps are useful)
- Optional items to take:
- Walking stick (with rubber tip)
- Plasters and bandages
- Extra money
- Bathing suit (for hot springs in Aguas Calientes. * Optional)