This Alternatives Lares Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days is mix of the live culture and rich history of the local indigenous peoples of Peru. Hiking this Alternative Route to Machu Picchu in Cusco allows you to learn and understand a bit more of Peru. Most notably,
This unique and tranquil Lares Valley Hike with Hot Springs covers 37km. The range of altitude on the trek is 3,000m to 4800m. This alternative trek shows you the highlights of Peru from 600 years ago and while hiking you will be surrounded by wild mountains, lagoons and waterfalls, encounter beautiful indigenous people as well as llamas and alpacas in their natural habitats.
This Lares Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days is the best option to hike after the Inca Trail. While alternative treks such as the Salkantay Trek can be very busy and crowded, our Lares Trek with Hot Springs is calm and peaceful.
- Day 1 – Cusco – Pumahuanca –Cuyoc
- Day 2 – Cuyoq – Pumahuanca Pass – Cuncani
- Day 3 – Cuncani Hot Springht– Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- Day 4 – Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
You will have a thorough briefing with your guide 1 or 2 days before your Lares Trail to Machu Picchu. Your guide will meet you at your hotel in Cusco and you can take this opportunity to ask questions and make any final preparations.
- Amazing views of Colque Cruz peak
- Amazing mountain ranges of Vilcabamba
- Beautiful cloud forest and lush vegetation
- Amazing lagooms
- Traditional cultural immersion
- Beautiful streams and waterfalls
- Flora and fauna
- Delicious food and culinary
- Hiking the unique route
- Amazing wonder of Lares Trek Hot Springs
On the first day you will be picked up early in the morning and driven through the Sacred Valley all the way to Pumahuanca until we reach the starting point of our trek to Lares Hot Springs. Our first day of trekking will be gradually uphill. The first Incan site we will pass is inca wasi where your expert guide will share with you the rich history of the Incas and you will have the chance to explore the ruins and take photos. After a further hour of trekking along the path we will arrive at our lunch spot where a delicious lunch prepared by our talented chefs will be enjoyed by all and this will fuel us for the final two hours trekking of the day until we reach our first camping site at Sondor. The first day of the hike is plentiful in natural scenery and hikers are treated to the natural beauty of the forest of Queweña as well as a waterfall.
WALKING DISTANCE: 10 km / 7.45miles
STARTING ELEVATION: 3350 m / 12477 ft
HIGHEST ELEVATION: 3850 m / 12690 ft
DIFFICULTY: Moderate to challenging
MEALS INCLUDED: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (including a snack and afternoon tea)
The second day of our hike starts with an early wake up call followed by breakfast prepared by our cook to prepare us for the hiking ahead. The terrain is uphill for two and a half hours until we reach Pumahuanca Pass, which, at 4,800 metres (15,100 feet) above sea level, is the highest point of our trek. From here you will be spoiled by the best views surrounding us, including a snow-capped mountain in the distance. After taking photos from this point we continue trekking downhill for three hours to our lunch spot at Cuncani, encountering llamas and alpacas in the wild en route and passing by picturesque lakes with the Urubamba mountain ranges in the background. After enjoying our second lunch prepared by our chef we continue our journey downhill for two hours until we reach the hot springs. At last, after two days trekking we can enjoy the hot springs (even jump into the hot water!) and relax for a couple of hours before dinner.
WALKING DISTANCE: 22 km / 13.7miles
STARTING ELEVATION: 3800 m / 12467 ft
HIGHEST ELEVATION: 4650 m / 15255ft
DIFFICULTY: Challenging / Moderate
MEALS INCLUDED: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (including a snack and afternoon tea)
The 3 day morning of our trek starts as a relaxing one as we enjoy the hot springs, the sunshine by the river bank and our last breakfast prepared by our cook. This is followed by a 30 minute uphill hike to a lookout point from where we can appreciate the Lares Valley and Hot Springs down below. An early lunch on this day is the last of the meals prepared by the travelling cook as we part company with the cook and horseman directly after our midday meal. Following our goodbyes we catch our coach to Ollantaytambo town where tourists are free to enjoy the afternoon as they please.them we will take our train to Aguas Calientes where going to spend a night before Machu Picchu,
WALKING DISTANCE: 7 km / 4.2miles
HIGHEST ELEVATION: 3850 m / 1131ft
LOWEST ELEVATION: 3350 m / 7022 ft
MEALS INCLUDED: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
We wake early to catch a bus up to The Machu Picchu Inca site where we will have the chance to enjoy sunrise and experience the wonder of Machu Picchu in the morning light. You will enjoy a two hour tour from a local guide around this astonishing archeological site and then enjoy some free time to explore it further by yourself. During this time you may also opt to hike up to the Sun Gate, to the top of Huayna Picchu Mountain or to the top of Macchu Picchu Mountain, the iconic mountain peaks that surround the site of Machu Picchu. After we will return to Machu Picchu Town by bus from where we catch our train to Ollantaytambo and then onwards private bus transportation back to Cusco. You will be dropped off at your hotel at approximately 6pm.
WALKING DISTANCE: Bus
STARTING ELEVATION: 2115 m / 6853 ft
HIGHEST ELEVATION: 2400 m/ 7231 ft
MEALS INCLUDED: Breakfast
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+for the treks
- Chef and Assitant Chef
- Professional Horse Carer
- Mules to carry 7kg of your personal items
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Private bus from your hotel to Soraypampa
- Train back to Ollantaytambo
- Private bus from Ollantaymbo to Cusco
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks and 4 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Kitchen tent and Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- 3 star hotel for final night
- Sleeping mattress for the route
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes round trip
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 4
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain or Machu Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your Lares Trek Hot Springs.